Russia refused to grant a refugee status to an activist of the Youth of Tajikistan for Revival movement Mehribon Sattorov. He is arrested at the request of Tajikistan for extradition and detained in an Investigation Detention Facility in Moscow.
Mehribon Khasanovich SATTAROV was born on 14 May 1989 in the city of Kanibadam, Leninaban (currently Sogd) Region of Takikistan. He is a citizen of Tajikistan. He is educated to a higher degree level at the Tajikistan State University of Commerce.
He was one of the initiators of the Youth of Tajikistan for Revival movement and is an active participant of campaigns for protection of the economic migrants from Tajikistan.
He was arrested in Moscow on 3 December 2014 at the extradition request of Tajikistan. In Tajikistan, he is accused of committing crimes under the following Articles of the Criminal Code of Tajikistan: 307.1, Parts 1 and 2 (Public calls to violent change of the constitutional order of the Republic of Tajikistan); 307.2, Part 2 (Organisation of an extremist community).
Mr. Sattorov is detained in the Pre-trial Detention Facility (СИЗО) No. 4 of Moscow. He was informed that they are conducting investigations regarding him. However, the investigator has not even questioned Mehrubon Sattorov during the last eight months and does not respond to his complaints.
In Russia, Mr. Sattorov applied for a refugee status. However, the Federal Migration Service (FMS) did not grant his application, despite the risk of him being tortured in Tajikistan. Mehribon Sattorov is an authorised representative of Maksud Ibrahimov, the leader of Youth of Tajikistan for Revival movement. Mr. Ibragimov was abducted in Moscow in January 2015. He was then illegally transported to Tajikistan, where he was subjected to torture and sentenced to 17 years in prison.
Association for Human Rights in Central Asia (AHRCA) is concerned about the fate of a citizen of Tajikistan Mehribon Sattorov. In this regard, we call on the Russian government to fulfil its obligations under Article 3 of the UN Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, which states that: “No State Party shall expel, return ("refouler") or extradite a person to another State where there are substantial grounds for believing that he would be in danger of being subjected to torture”.
We are sending reports about a repressive campaign against supporters of the Youth of Tajikistan for Revival movement and the opposition organisation Group of 24 to the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.
We present a non-exhaustive list of activist members of the Youth of Tajikistan for Revival movement and the opposition movement Group 24, who either were arrested at the request of Tajikistan for the extradition or kidnapped and taken to Tajikistan or are under threat of arrest in Tajikistan.
- Individuals who are in prison:
1. Maksud IBRAGIMOV, born on 3 November 1977. On 26 November 2014, he was attacked and stabbed following repeated threats. Ibragimov was abducted in Moscow in January 2015. He was then illegally taken to Tajikistan detained at the KGB. The investigation of his case was conducted in violation of the procedural rules, he was tortured and not allowed access to a lawyer; his close family are under a constant pressure and surveillance. On 24 July 2015, he was sentenced to 17 years in prison.
2. Negmatullo KURBONOV, born in 1989 in the Hamadon Distirct of the Khatlon Region of Tajikistan. Under a threat of arrest, he had to return to Tajikistan on 9 October 2014 and was soon sentenced to 4 years of imprisonment.
3. Umedzhon SOLEKHOV, born in 1984 in the Vasey District of the Kulyab (currently Khatlon) Region of Tajikistan. Under a threat of arrest, he had to return to Tajikistan and in December 2014 was sentenced to 17 and half years of imprisonment.
- Individuals under a threat of arrest in Tajikistan:
4. Sherzod KOMILOV, born in 1992 in the city of Kayrakkum, the Sogd Region of Tajikistan. When his family was threatened with violence, he had to return from Russia to Tajikistan. He is persecuted for interviewing with an opposition TV channel and is under a threat of arrest.
- Individuals under a threat of extradition:
5. Nuriddin BAFOEV, born in 1970 in the village of Asht (currently Shaydon) of the Leninabad (currently Sogd) Region of Tajikistan. On 25 November 2014, he was arrested in Moscow, Russia.
6. Mehribon SATTAROV, born on 14 May 1989 in the city of Kanibadam of the Leninabad (currently Sogd) Region of Tajikistan. He was arrested on 3 December 2014 on extradition request of Tajikistan; he is currently held in the Pre-trial Detention Facility (СИЗО) № 4 of Moscow, Russia.
7. Abdurahim VOSIEV, born in 1987 in the Khalton District of the Khalton Region of Tajikistan. He is a resident of the city of Kabodyan. He was arrested on 12 November 2014 on extradition request of Tajikistan, currently held in the Pre-trial Detention Facility (СИЗО) № 4 of Moscow, Russia.
8. Karim OBIDOV, arrested in Moscow, no further information is available.
9. Sulaymon DZHABIROV, arrested on 10 December 2014 in the city of Samara, Russia, currently held in the Pre-trial Detention Facility (СИЗО) № 1 of Moscow, Russia.
10. Roziya ABDURAHMONOVA, born in 1961 in the Dzhaloliddin Rumi District of the Khatlon Region of Tajikistan. She was arrested on 19 December 2014 in the city of Novosibirsk, Russia.
11. Mirzohakim AKHMEDOV, born in 1982. He was arrested in May 2015, in the city of Saratov, Russia on extradition request of Tajikistan.
12. Firuz LOIKOV, born on 26 February 1994. In April 2015, he was arrested in Moscow, Russia on extradition request of Tajikistan. We do not have any further details.
13. Shabnam KHUDOYDODOVA, born on 20 December 1986 in the city of Kulyab. She was arrested in the Republic of Belarus on 13 June 2015.
*We are not reporting about the cases of arrests in the EU countries and Turkey as requested by applicants.
- Missing individuals:
14. Ehson ODINAYEV, born on 12 June 1991. On 19 May 2015, he disappeared in the city of Sank-Petersburg, Russia in mysterious circumstances.
- Information is not available:
15. Oyatullo GILYAYEV, born in 1988 in the Lenin (currently Rudaki) District of Tajikistan. He was detained in the city of Novosibirsk. We do not have any further information about him.