On 31 May 1995 Djuraev was sentenced to 12 years of imprisonment to be served in high security prison and confiscation of his property. In accordance with an Act of Amnesty his sentence was reduced by 3 years.
Shortly before the end of his sentence term on 27 July 2004, Djuarev was convicted on trumped-up charges under Article 221 of the Criminal Code of Uzbekistan « Disobedience to Legitimate Orders of Administration of Institution of Execution of Penalty» for yet another three years of imprisonment. The same happened on 27 July 2006 when his, then, last sentence term was coming to the end; the prisoner was given an additional three years of imprisonment under Article 221 of the Criminal code of Uzbekistan. On 31 May 2009, using the same Article, his prison term was again extended by three years and four months. Among other reasons given – the punishment was given because he “improperly peeled carrots,” while working in the kitchen. On 13 November 2012, he completed his fourth sentence. On 4 December 2012, Murad Djuraev was sentenced again to three years and 24 days, once again under the Article 221 of the Criminal Code of Republic of Uzbekistan.
The Association for Human Rights in Central Asia – AHRCA appeals to representatives of governments, international and inter-state organisations to call upon Uzbekistan to grant access to medical, as well as dental care urgently for Murad Djuraev. Uzbekistan pledged to implement ratified international agreements on human rights, including the UN Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. This report was sent to:
- United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- UN Special Rapporteur on Torture;
- EU special rapporteur on Central Asia;
- EU special rapporteur on human rights;
- The governments of democratic countries;
- International human rights organizations
Our previous publications about Murad Djuraev:
– Petition «On the Day of the 65th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights please support a petition for freedom of Uzbek political prisoner Murad Djuraev!» dated 9 December 2013;
– Press release «Uzbekistan: There is a red band on the file of a political prisoner Murad Djuraev» dated 29 April 2013;
– Press release «Uzbekistan: An appeal against the sentence in the case of Murat Juraev is rejected» dated 1 January 2013;
– Press release «Uzbekistan: Murad Djuraev is sentenced to another term of imprisonment of three years 24 days» dated 16 December 2012;;
– Press release «Uzbekistan: Free Political Prisoners on Constitution Day. Use Anniversary to Advance Real Reform» dated 6 December 2012;
– Press release «Uzbekistan: Ailing political prisoner Murad Djuraev is again placed in solitary confinement» dated 14 October 2012;
– Press release «It is not possible to find out the location of political prisoner Murad Djuraev for the last four months» dated 17 September 2009.